Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Monday 3rd November 2014 at 2.30pm

Present :       
Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary
Mike Pitchford – Treasurer
Kate Fletcher
Bob Hickson
Ron Kidson
Peter Leigh
David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington PC)
David Thomas (ex-officio representing Boningale PC)

1. Apologies received from John Bulmer. Michael Ward (ex-officio representing Albrighton PC) did not attend.

2. Minutes of Meeting of 6th October 2014 were approved subject to a correction that the AAHF may run an arts festival in 2 to 3 years time and not in 2015 as recorded.

3. Treasurer’s Report.Current balance in the bank £2,374.24 with some of this ring fenced for the Villages Entrances Scheme. At the AGM £55 of subscriptions and donations was received including a generous donation of £20 from Keith Lockley. ACTION PW to write to Mr Lockley with our thanks.
MP recommended that we need to recruit more members to boost our income which was agreed. We will set up a table and gazebo outside the ex -Seven Hospice shop on the High St on Saturday 6th December (details to be finalised at next committee meeting on 1st December) and also in the Spring.

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues
KF reported on the Arts/Craft Fayre which had been held on Sat 1st November. There had been a smaller attendance (approx 200) compared with the previous Fayres (approx 400) but that having charged an entrance fee then a profit of approx £420 had been made (subject to final accounts). KF reported that Lorraine Moore has now left the AAHF committee and Pauline Morton is about to leave. This meant that only KF, RK, MP and Narinder Dhami are the only committee members left and more needed to be recruited. The Literary Competition had attracted fewer entries than expected and most were from children so the award ceremonies will be at the various schools rather than one main event.

b)  Albrighton Station Pedestrian Access Ramp
RS reported that Alice Dilly had brought the SC Conservation Officer to site who had then asked that the new lighting on the Stn Building be heritage style and also that the handrails on the ramp be replaced as the Stn Buildings are listed. PW had determined that the Building Listing did not include that land on which the ramp is built and the CO had accepted that and so we don’t expect that she will insist on replacing the existing handrails – this would effectively kill off the project. RS, as Ramp Secretary, had written to Adam Checkley of NR to suggest that NR propose suitable lighting as they must have had previous experience of this and may have a suitable heritage design which could then be submitted to the CO.
ACTION PW will draft some Heads of Agreement to deal the interface between the various parties as a first step and as a help to their preparation of the legal agreements with their own legal advisors. RS, as Ramp Team Secretary, is following up with Adam Checkley and with Alice Dilly regarding the comments sent by the Ramp Team re the Stn Rd footpath.

c) SAMDev & Place Plan
DB & DT both reported that on the agenda at the next LJC meeting at the Red house on 3rd December is a review of the Place Plan. RK reminded everyone that the only public discussion on the Plan would be at the LJC meeting
DB reported that Donington PC had received an email from Bovis homes concerning their proposed housing development on the land between the railway and north of Newport Rd and that they and Alb PC were to receive a presentation by Bovis at next week’s Alb PC meeting and that the public could attend. ACTION: BH would attend and report back.

5. Matters arising
a)  Advertising the Entrance Scheme Working Parties and similar activity
BH tabled a suggested Notice Format which was agreed. ACTION: BH will finalise it and have them displayed in all 4 parishes.

The next working party would meet at:-
Patshull Lane/A464 at 9am on Saturday 6th December

b) Local Listing
PL reported that he would attend a meeting, hosted by Malvern Civic Society, on Sat 15th November where a speaker from Civic Voice would provide information and advice. (ADCS has previously decided that we would like to have a Local List).

c) Eyesores and other items.
PL reported that he had met with Michael Ward who had agreed:-
- to contact Peter Bromley for permission that a bus stop could be installed on the High St on land at the Shrewsbury Arms
- to consider if the Alb PC workman could paint the backs of the lamp standards up to a level of about 2m.
PW noted that the garden at the corner of Pitchford Rd/Albert Rd was an eyesore and in spite of complaining to SC nothing had been done. PW also drew attention to the bad state of the frontage at the ex-Barclays bank in Stn Rd.

6. AOB

Next  meeting:  2p.m. Monday 5th January 2015 at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house). 

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 2nd February 2015


All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 12th October 2015