Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Monday 1st December 2014 at 2pm

Present :       
Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary
Mike Pitchford - Treasurer
John Bulmer
Kate Fletcher (part)
Bob Hickson
Ron Kidson
Peter Leigh
David Beechey – ex-officio representing Donington with Boscobel PC

1. Apologies received David Thomas. Michael Ward (ex-officio representing Albrighton PC) did not attend.
The chairman was pleased to introduce David Fenwick as an observer as a potential member of the committee

2. Minutes of Meeting of 3rd November 2014 were approved.

3. Treasurer’s Report.– Current bank balance is £2,356.24 after two items of expenditure:- thanks to Lorraine Moore and Chris Pitchford who had bought, on behalf of the Society, and planted 2 box trees and pansies for the Planters on the High St.

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues
KF reported that Sarah Baker had resigned and KF is the new chairman. A next committee meeting is planned to be after Christmas. They wish to recruit new committee members.

b)  Albrighton Station Pedestrian Access Ramp
RS reported that in his role as Secretary of the Ramp Team he was chasing up, by emails, Adam Checkley (NR) for his suggested lighting arms and lanterns & Alice Dilly for a response to Ramp Team comments & for a meeting to have our suggested revisions implemented & to help move the scheme drawings to a stage ready for formal public consultation.

c) Meeting with representatives of Albrighton PC. PW, RS & MP had met Cllrs Sylvia Pledger, Christine Hassall and Susanne Jarvis to discuss the relationship between the two organisations. Past projects where both had participated were reviewed. The project to convert the Station Masters’ Building into a Station Heritage Centre had been abandoned. However both organisations wished to see the building rescued from its continuing dilapidation, which could affect the viability of the Station. Several possible other uses were discussed including a youth centre and a sheltered home, but any use would need to be financially viable and any scheme would need to be implemented by the current owner, with whom PW had established a good relationship and who continued to be supportive. It was agreed that further options would be added to the list and each one reviewed.
It was agreed that a better outcome for the village would be achieved if the PC and the Society could liaise and consult in order that one could support the other wherever possible.
It was agreed that we would hold further liaison meetings.
It was agreed that a joint statement would be published in the Parish Magazine.

d) Report of the meeting of Alb PC & Donington PC where Bovis Homes presented their proposals for new houses on the field between Rectory Rd and Newport Rd.
BH had attended on behalf of the Society and he explained the main points made by Bovis. He said that the PC reminded Bovis that the land for housing development was already agreed as the “white land” between the railway/Shaw Lane/Kingswood Rd. It was felt that this may have been a Bovis exercise to test out reactions.

e) SAMDev and the Place Plan. It was agreed that we would continue to press for an “Overall Comprehensive Review of Traffic Issues”. We need to get this point included in the Albrighton Place Plan. Re-opening the public WC was also felt to be important.

5. Matters arising
a)  Stall for Recruiting
It was agreed that we would ask the Methodist Church if we may set up a stall on the corner of their land on the High St at 9am on Saturday 6th December.
ACTION: RK to ask permission. PW to bring gazebo & table. MP register and cash float. RS posters and name signs.


b) Villages Entrance Scheme
The committee recorded its thanks to Tony Wrighton, Peter Isles and Bob Lansley who helped at the  29th December clearing exercise.  .
ACTION: PW to write letter of thanks to the three volunteers
JB reported that the next working parties would meet at:- Kingswood Road/A41 at 9am on Saturday 13th December

c) Local Listing.PL had attended the meeting organised by Malvern Civic Society and he handed out copied of documents obtained which would prove useful to us for our proposed Listing project.


d) Ex-Barclays Bank Building was becoming an eyesore. PW had been established that it is owned by SEP Properties Ltd.
ACTION: PW to write to SEP to ask for their intentions and programme for completing the stalled building work.

e) Albrighton Garage. ACTION: PW to write to the owner to ask if he can tidy up and paint the old petrol pumps as they are unsightly but would look good and appropriate for a garage if painted.

f) Old Garage at corner of Crown Car Park (behind one of the Stn Rd shops/ex- Barclays bank). The up-&-over door is hanging off its support and interior looks a mess.
ACTION: PW to write to owner.

g) House at corner Albert Rd/Pitchford Rd. Front garden is full of rubbish and broken cars.
ACTION: PW to write again to SC to see what action they can take.

6. AOB

Next  meeting:  2p.m. Monday 5th January 2015 at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house). 

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 2nd February 2015

All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 12th October 2015