Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Friday 30th October 2015 at 2pm (November Committee Meeting)

Present :       
Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary
Mike Pitchford - Treasurer
John Bulmer
Bob Hickson
Ron Kidson  
David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington-with-Boscobel PC
David Thomas (ex-officio representing Boningale PC)
Peter Isles

1. Apologies received from Peter Leigh. Michael Ward (ex-officio representing Albrighton PC) did not attend.
The committee was pleased to welcome Cllr Peter Isles as a visitor and hoped that he would join the committee

3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP reported that the bank balance stood at £2061.20.

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues

a) Library. RK reported on the Library task group meeting he had attended:-
The SC consultation asked just one question and provided a proposed layout for the building.
Options were i) Alb PC to take over or ii) SC to continue but with reduced hours or iii) some other solution. More than 95% of replies so far opt for i). SC own the land. The lease would be from SC to Alb PC for 125 years. RS asked if the other 3 PCs would join in but RK noted that the lease would be to Alb PC. The current proposed service level agreement is only for 3 yrs and PW suggested that this should be for much longer to give more security to Alb PC.

The proposed layout plan of the building was discussed and it was felt that a better arrangement would be to change the permanent wall between the meeting room and Library to a movable wall which would provide more flexibility in operation of both the library and the meeting room. ACTION: RS to circulate a draft response and then send it to SC and copy to Alb PC.

b) Swimming Pool. As RS was on holiday PW attended the Pool task group meeting on 3rd November 2015. PW reported that as the Swimming Club treasurer did not attend the club’s accounts were not available. The club may be able to attract grants which would help. The school had provided updated running costs for the pool which were:-
Maintenance        £5,626.49
Management            760.00
Heating                  4,000.00
Staffing/Lifeguard  4,878.30
(including training)
Total £15,264.79

The committee understood that the staffing/lifeguard item was the cost that was expended by the school during its use of the pool and concluded that the actual running cost of the pool for any organisation to then use was 5626.49 + 4000 = £9626.49. It would be useful to understand the build up of the management cost £760 but even if all this was added then total running cost would be £10,386.49.
RS would attend the next meeting on 1st December 2015 and make the above points.

c) Eyesores. BH has prepared a draft Bench Maintenance Specification.
BH reported that the empty shop in Station Rd opposite the Village Butcher is leased to Jasper Bakeries – the facia board at the rear needs painting.
ACTION: PW to ask Steve Brown for contact at SC who BH could liaise with concerning old Barclays Bank building.
BH is trying to get improvement to the front garden of the house at the junction of Windsor Rd and Woodland Close.

d) AAHF. RK reported that an AGM is probably to be held in January when its future would be decided.

e) Station Pedestrian Ramp. RS, Secretary Ramp Team, reported that he would discuss with Cllr Sylvia Pledger, Chairman of the Ramp Team, to see how we could get Mark Pritchard to assist in getting a commitment from NR for firm dates for NR’s bridge replacement which is key to starting the SC footpath work begining the legal agreement drafting.

f) Community Fund. ACTION: RK to complete and send off the application forms for a 4th Planter

g) Entrances Scheme. JB reported that 24 bags of tree bark (£100) were laid at Patshull Rd/A464 junction. JB has agreement for David Marshall to cut at A41 and A464 (£150).


5. Matters Arising.
a) Banners. BH reported that he had some initial costs for banners such as
4m x 0.5m (for display between the trees at the Red House) and 2m x 0.1m (for front of the gazebo) total of £140. ACTION: BH to also ask Pauline Morton for any cost information she has for the banners which AAHF had purchased.

b) Recruiting Stall. Agreed to set up at 9am for 10am start on Saturday 5th December – subject to weather. All to bring the items as before.


6. AOB
a) Land East of Shaw Lane. ACTION: PW to write to SC Chief Executive to request that Richard Fortune (Planner) to come to discuss the development with our committee. (Richard Fortune had not replied to our requests for a meeting.)

Next  meeting: 2p.m. Monday 4th January at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house).

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 1st February 2016
(Committee Meetings are held on the first Monday each month)

All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 10th October 2016