Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Monday 4th July 2016 at 2pm

Present :       
Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary
Mike Pitchford
Bob Hickson
Peter Illes
David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington with Boscobel PC)

1. Apologies received from David Thomas, Ron Kidson, John Bulmer and Peter Leigh. PW and PI advised that Michael Ward was not now the ex-officio committee member representing Albrighton PC.

2. Minutes of Meeting of 6th June 2016 were approved.

3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP reported a bank balance at 27th May 2016 of £1816.04. Alb PC had awarded a grant of £150 for plants etc for the Planters which was to be taken up by presentation of invoices - ACTION:PW would check the APC financial year from which this grant was made.

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues

a) Entrances Scheme. PW reported that JB’s working party last week had carried out weeding at Patshull Rd/A464.

b) Eyesores. BH tabled an updated list. Benches are being refurbished by RAF Cosford (organised by Sandra Kirkland). Some discussion of possibility of Society volunteers carrying out some work cleaning some street furniture.   ACTION: MP to check the cover of the Society insurance policy.
It was reported that Michael Ward had confirmed that Alb PC was responsible for cleaning street name signs, some of which were looking scruffy, and that the PC workman would clean them during the winter period when he was not occupied with grass cutting.
ACTION: BH will ask Sandra Kirkland if it is possible for the RAF to clean & paint the bus shelter on the High St opposite the Shrewsbury Arms.
PI & PW proposed, and it was accepted, that the last 3 items on the list relating to private house be removed as we unlikely to achieve any improvement.
ACTION: PW will write to the owners of the old Barclays Bank building to ask if they would put a cover over the window and a note to explain what development is being undertaken. PW will find out when the current planning approval will expire.
ACTION: ALL to send any new items to BH for discussion and possible listing.

c) Future of the Swimming Pool. PW reported that Alb PC preferred proposal “Option 2. Direct Transfer to Alb PC – on a long lease”

5. Matters Arising
a) Front Garden/Window Box/Hanging Basket Competition – PW reported that winners had been notified and awards to be presented at the AGM.

b) No real progress by those who were to phone round to recruit the volunteers.

 c) MP reported that he would contact Alex Straney to see if the RAF were able to make a plastic plaque for the Planter.

d) Development behind Shaw Lane. Phase 2 originally included proposed additional station parking but that land is not now shown in Phase 2. RS and PW to meet Boningale Homes to learn what the intention is. We are waiting for them to agree a date. ACTION: PW will chase up Boningale Homes for meeting date.

e) All entries are now displayed in the Library. Cup won by Albrighton Primary School and the runner up Shield by Birchfield School.

f) ACTION: PW had contacted Bill Wilkinson (Carpenter) and Marstons regarding the WC building and would follow up to see if anything came out of the discussions.

6. Any Other Business
a) Fayre Day 9th July. PW would now be available with RS to man the stall. We meet at 8am.

b) PI noted that there may be funding available for capital purchases and wondered if there were any items we could buy which could then generate an income.

Next  meeting: 2pm. Monday 1st August at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house).

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 5th September 2016.
(Committee Meetings are usually held on the first Monday each month)

All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October
Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 10th October 2016