Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Monday 1st August 2016 at 2pm

Present :       
Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary
Mike Pitchford - Treasurer
John Bulmer
Bob Hickson
Ron Kidson
David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington-with-Boscobel PC).

1. Apologies received from Peter Leigh, David Thomas (ex-officio representing Boningale PC) and Peter Illes

2. Minutes of Meeting of 4th July 2016 were approved.

3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP reported results from the Albrighton Fayre:- Subscription Renewals £68.00, new members £40.00, donations £7 and sale of plants £97.00. The committee expressed its thanks to John Bulmer who had kindly provided the plants.
Reconciliation of funds provided by the LJC for the Entrances Scheme showed that of the £5000 funds received £4679.41 had been spent leaving a balance of £320.59 available for the next phase.

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues

a) Villages Entrances Scheme
JB has organised the next working party to meet at Patshull Rd at 9am on Saturday 6th August and asks for volunteers.

b) Eyesores.
BH reported that Alb PC has started refurbishment of the benches.
PW had sent a photograph of the broken salt bin to Steven Brown at SC with copy to BH.
BH is chasing up Royal Mail to ask them to paint the letter boxes.
BH has spoken to Michael Ward who agrees that cleaning of the street name signs are the responsibility of Alb PC and their workman will clean them during the winter months (when grass cutting is not needed).
Neighbours of the house on Windsor Rd with the very untidy and overgrown front garden had raised the matter with BH who had spoken to the owner but she has refused to deal with the matter. ACTION: DB said that while the council has no authority over private premises he would raise the matter with Donington PC and ask if they will write to the owner to complain.

c) Swimming Pool. PW reported that no further progress had been made and this was a concern as Alb PC had agreed to fund this year to allow time for a permanent solution to be established but the year is already halfway over.

d) Planters. MP reported that the Society has purchased a watering can and has given it to the manager of the Co-op shop who had kindly agreed to water the 5th Planter outside the shop.

e) Development behind Shaw Lane.PW and RS reported that they had met Boningale Homes (David Thomson and Mark Yeoman) and had received a useful update. Progress with planning for Phase 2 is delayed as part of the land is owned by National Grid who have yet to come to an agreement with the other owners.

f)  Flower Competition. ACTION: RS will send an announcement of the winners for the Parish Magazine

g) School Awards Scheme. Prizes awarded on Fayre Day: Crawford Cup Winner –Albrighton Primary School, Runner Up with Crawford shield – Birchfield School.
ACTION: ALL to circulate suggestions for next year’s theme

5. Matters arising
a) Speakers/topics for the Public Meeting/AGM on 10th October.
One possible topic would be the Health Service in our area. ACTION: DB agreed to produce a working paper summarising the situation.
It was agreed that as SC were now consulting on the Sports Strategy for Shropshire and had issued a report (as circulated by RK) it would be of interest to residents if Cllr Stuart West, the leader of SC’s committee for this topic, could address the meeting followed by a Q&A session. ACTION: PW will contact Stuart West to see if he is available. As the consultation ends prior to the public meeting RK will prepare a draft response to the consultation for agreement by the Committee.

6. AOB
a) Promotional Folder. BH will circulate a copy for all members to send him updates by end August - ACTION: ALL

b) RK noted that overgrown hedges have narrowed the footpath on Cross Rd and asked the owners to deal with it. [Post Meeting Note. These hedges have now been cut back]

c) DB reported that STAR Housing is to hold a consultation at Sheldon Court at 2pm on 2nd August.

d) It was agreed that MP will buy some bulbs for the village green opposite Walter Smiths butchers

Next meeting:  2p.m. Monday 5th September at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house). 

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 3rd October 2016

All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm
on Monday 10th October 2016