Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the
Albrighton & District Civic Society
held at 31/32 High St, Albrighton,
on Monday 2nd October 2017 at 2pm

Present :       Peter Woodman - Chairman
Rod Smith – Secretary
Mike Pitchford – Treasurer
Bob Hickson
Ron Kidson
Gaynor Richards
Phyl Woodman
David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington-with-Boscobel PC)

1. Apologies received from, Peter Illes, and David Thomas (ex-officio representing Boningale PC)

2. Minutes of Meeting of 4th September 2017 were approved.

3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP tabled the accounts to year end 30th September 2017 showing a bank balance of £2,223.86

4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues

a) Village Entrances Scheme.
Kingswood Rd/A41.
ACTION: MP would carry on chasing Anne Breakwell (SC) to cut the grass and to ensure it is added to their Contractor’s list for the future.  

b) Swimming Pool. 
PW reported that FASP has paid almost £2k to Alb PC which will reduce the amount the PC will have to pay as funder of last resort. 220 lottery subscribers so far. PW, Roger Rudman and Cath Radcliffe met the Head who confirmed her support to keep the pool operating. RR is preparing a feasibility study on a covering to the pool and once that is done a meeting of Albrighton Swimming Pool Action Group (ASPAG) will be called by PW.
FASP’s fun raising Gala Concert is now organised for Sat 14th October at Alb Primary School.

c) East of Shaw Lane Development.
PW and Cllr Malcolm Pate met with Ian Kilby and Richard Fortune at SC who explained their position.
ACTION: RS to invite IK and RF to our Public Meeting on 9th Oct 2017 to hear the Developers’ proposals and particularly to hear residents’ views.

d) Banner. The Banner had been paid for by RS’s company as a donation to the Society. RS and BH reported that the Banner had been received and would be displayed on the trees in front of the Red House prior to the Public Meeting

e) SC proposal to charge 30p/hr at the Crown car Park.
The committee was strongly against charging as it would seriously affect businesses and also force more vehicles to park on the High St which is already congested.
The committee felt that the Questionnaires offered by SC were very long winded and very complicated so much so that it is likely that many people will not fill them – which will result in very few comments to the proposers of the charge. Why did SC make them so unfriendly?
ACTION: RS would prepare a simple version of the questionnaire which could be offered to residents which may have more success in getting comments on the proposal.

f) Eyesores.
Barclays Bank. PW reported that he still had not received any response from the owners.
Maintenance of Street Signs. BH reported no progress but will speak to APC Clerk again

g) Flower Competition.    John Bulmer and team has carried out the judging and ACTION: RS will prepare the Certificates for the Award Ceremony at the Public Meeting.

h) School Awards Scheme. As RAF Cosford celebrates its 70th anniversary then Topic for 2018 is: “RAF Cosford, its history and its relationship to our community”. All schools support the topic.

 i) In abeyance but here as a reminder - Traffic matters including Parking. One of the Society’s projects is to try to have the Society’s request for a Comprehensive Review of Traffic Issues in the District included in County and/or Village Plans.
ACTION: We wait until the work for the new Albrighton Place Plan is started and then make a new approach. DB had previously advised that the Alb PC Clerk is responsible to start this work.

5. Matters arising
a) Pedestrian Access Ramp at the Station.
The Clerk had now confirmed that the broker had said that Alb PC’s Public Liability Insurance will cover the Ramp at no additional premium and we were waiting to see that in writing. After that news we had re-started contacts:-
PW and RS waiting for James Woof of Network Rail to advise a date for a site meeting.
    ACTION: RS will write to Alice Dilly for an update of their plans to build the footpath.

6. AOB
a) Public Meeting & AGM 9th October  Topics will be:-
- East of Shaw Lane Development - David Thompson. ACTION:RS invited Clive Jessup to speak and he has accepted and will bring his team including Wrekin Housing Trust.
- Proposed Parking Charges at the Crown – to be addressed by Cllr Malcolm Pate
- Adopt-a-Stn update – Alison Taylor from the newly formed Friends of Albrighton Stn

b) ACTION: MP will apply for funds from Veolia for bulbs/plants

c) MP reported that the newly formed Friends of Albrighton Station expect their formal launch to be in November 2017.

Next  meeting:  2p.m. Monday 6th November 2017 at 31/32 High St. (Peter Woodman’s house). 

Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 4th December 2017.


Next Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 8th October 2018

All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October