Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the

Albrighton & District Civic Society

held on Monday 10th May 2021 at 2pm



Present :        

Peter Woodman – Chairman

Rod Smith – Secretary

Mike Pitchford - Treasurer

Peter Illes

Ron Kidson

Gaynor Richards

Phyl Woodman

David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington-with-Boscobel PC)


1. Apologies received from Mike Pitchford and Roger Rudman. David Thomas is arranging a new Cllr as the ex-officio member from Boningale PC.


2. Minutes of Meeting of 12th  April 2021 were approved


3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP confirmed that he had received a refund for the cancelled PL insurance policy. Current bank balance is £1725.05 plus £3 cash subs and PW has received £10 cash subs.


4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues


a) East of Shaw Lane development. - No news


b) Field Development (behind the south end of Shaw Lane). Geoff Woodman was contacting Geoff Catlin and other neighbours and a meeting of ADAG could be called.


MP suggested that the Civic Society should request to be a consultee for all planning applications in our district ie Albrighton, Boningale, Donington-with-Boscobel and Tong). ACTION: PW will write to SC Planners with a request.


c)  Whiteacres Development – PW reported the SC planner had said that amendments had been made and will soon be issued.


d) Website. Gaynor reported that she was working with Shaun Meridith-Jones and they were making good progress


e) Flower/Garden Competition. We will contact previous entrants to encourage them to enter this year. ACTION: RS will make a leaflet for all to use. Deadline for entries is 7th June so we all need to encourage more people to enter.


f)  School Awards Scheme. Two schools have agreed the topic (St Mary’s Church) and we await the response from Birchfield


5. Matters arising

a). Possible Street Market. RR had circulated a note with some ideas.

PI advised that Sally/Peter Gwilt were possibly going to run a “German Market” at the same time as the Christmas Lights switch-on.

PW said that the Friends of the Lottery (FOTL) are considering a stall with a musical entertainment  to try to increase the number of people in the Lottery. This would be in the Summer and ADCS could consider having a stall alongside to collect subscriptions. ACTION: All to consider this. PW to advise what FOTL decide to do.


b) Next meeting may possibly be on Zoom or face to face depending on how the guidelines are at the time.


6. AOB.   




Next  meeting:  2pm. Mon 7th June 2021. (This is the 2nd Monday in June as the first Monday is a bank holiday)



Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 5th July 2021



Note for your Diary

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 11th October 2021        

All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October