Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the

Albrighton & District Civic Society

held on Monday 2nd August 2021 at 2pm

at Harp Pub Garden


Present :        

Peter Woodman – Chairman

Rod Smith – Secretary

Ron Kidson

Gaynor Richards

Roger Rudman

Phyl Woodman

Cllr David Beechey (ex-officio representing Donington-with-Boscobel PC).

Cllr David Slatcher (ex-officio member from Boningale PC).


School Awards Scheme The entries from the three schools were viewed at 31/32 High St and then the meeting continued at the Harp. It is hoped that these will eventually be displayed in the library, as usual, but after the presentation has taken place.


1. Apologies received from Peter Illes and Mike Pitchford


2. Minutes of Meeting of 5th July 2021 were approved


3. Treasurer’s Report.– MP on holiday


4. To consider progress in regard to following main issues


a) Progress with Website update. ACTION: GR asked ALL members to send photos to GR to be put on the site. RS to update the Cross Road Traffic Group page


b) Field Development (behind the south end of Shaw Lane). No more news


PW had written to Ian Kilby (Head of SC Planners( with a request for the Society to be a consultee and to receive applications for all four parishes. Ian agreed and this was now being actioned by SC as a named consultee for Albrighton Parish but the other 3 parishes will be accessed in a different way which we have yet to be told how.


c)  School Awards Scheme. As there was no Fayre Day this year, the presentation of Cup and Shields will be made at the church by the vicar. Date will be in the autumn.


d) Flower/Garden Competition.  the awards to be made of the Public Meeting on 11th October.



5. Matters arising

a) Tree root damage outside the Estate Agents. Graham Downs (SC Highways) has still not replied to PW re ownership of the land etc.


b) State of village roads. ACTION: PW to write to Steve Smith (SC) to request he visits the village to inspect the roads with us


c) Possible Street Market. RR provided a good detailed presentation of the work he has done and the discussions he has held with many of the traders. The Committee felt that RR had carried out a lot of preparation work which was very useful. It was agreed that a group of the interested traders will be asked to meet the whole ADCS committee and they will be asked to form a committee to take the next step which is to make a review of all matters related to holding a market and to set down detailed plans which would be presented to another meeting of the traders and the ADCS committee. A view would then be taken if the Civic Society would support the project or not. If it is to go ahead it was suggested that a first market could be in April 2022 It was felt that while RR is facilitating this work it is up to this market committee of traders to lead it and to be responsible.

ACTION: RS. It was agreed that RS will send out an email to ADCS committee members and RR will circulate this to the traders – this email will have possible dates for a 7pm meeting in the next fortnight so that the best date be chosen to have most people in attendance.


d) Swim Albrighton, Swim Safe – event on Sat 31st July

It was felt that in spite of the rain we had signed about 10 new members and had renewed many others. It was felt that the day had been successful for the Society but more importantly for the Friends of Albrighton Swimming Pool Lottery which has signed up 6 new lottery members and had raised several hundred pounds for the Swimming Club


e) AGM and Public Meeting 11th October 2021. We need to decide on topics and speakers which need to be topical and of key interest to residents so that we attract a large audience

Initial idea was to have the main item as a presentation by SC Highways Officers (Steve Smith?) and Drainage/Flooding (John Bellis?) and the Cabinet Members responsible. A short presentation by the Air Ambulance could also be included. ACTION: RS to make a draft agenda/programme to see what is possible. All to consider any alternative topics and to circuit these asap


6. AOB.   


The committee was very sad to learn of the passing of David Thomson whose funeral took place on 30th July. David was very involved with many village matters and he will be greatly missed.


Next  meeting:  2pm. Mon 6th September  2021. It is currently planned to meet in the Harp Pub Garden but this may be changed to 31/32 High St depending on the Covid rules at that point



Following Meeting will be at 2pm on Monday 4th October 2021  


Note for your Diary

Public Meeting & AGM is at 7.00pm on Monday 11th October 2021        

All future AGMs are on the second Monday of October